Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tagalog

Magandang tanghalian!

I was feeling froggy, so I wanted to give you another one tonight.

Soooo...Remember how I said that Tagalog was a monster? And how scared I was of it? Man...I almost slapped myself at how wrong I was. This was superrrrr easy. Maybe it's because I'm still in the beginning stages, but if apprehension is easy now, it should remain that way later on right?

Let's hope so.

Anyway...Tagalog is the language of the Philippines..So if you have any Filipino friends, this might be something to look into. It might sound a little like Spanish because there are some loan words like "Ingles", "Nakakaintindi" (Entender), and "Amerikano".

I attribute the fear to my stupidity and not paying attention the first time I tried Tagalog. And I wasn't writing what I learned either. Once I solidified the word order and what each word really means (I was under the impression that nakakaintindi was at least three words), I was golden.

No dictionaries for this language yet. Just Google Translate, which did a good job of giving me the word I needed the spelling for!

Tagalog by FAR, has my favorite way to say yes: Oo. That's pronounced oh-oh.."Oh" as in the "au" sound in "automobile."

Tagalog, you're cool.

Paalam!

Your Favorite Polyglot

1 comment:

  1. Pretty awesome! I'm half-Filipino, so learning Tagalog has been on my bucket list. I've put it off to learn other languages, but maybe I'll make it my next project. Nice inspiration!

    ReplyDelete