Sunday, August 19, 2012

Русский + Ελληνική


Τι κάνετε?

I doubled up again for you all tonight! Two of my favorite languages!

Drumroll........Russian and Greek!

I love these languages...In all honesty, I never thought that I'd be learning these two (or anything other than Spanish) 
because I'm from Nowhere, USA. No one really cares about foreign things there. 

Let's begin with Greek. Tonight's lesson was lots of review, but I got to learn some important words, like when (pote) 
and now (tora). I'm surprised that I did as well as I have since it's been a while. For anyone thinking of pursuing Greek,
don't be afraid. The only think you'll have to worry about is the alphabet, but even that isn't as hard as it seems 
because each letter is phonetic! So once you know what sounds each letter makes, you are GOLDEN. Lots of the 
letters look similar to the ones we use in English, with the exceptions of a few, but they take no time to get down.

Tonight, I also decided to try something that I never have done before..I left out the English pronunciation totally. I 
stuck strictly to the Greek alphabet. Nothing more. It was easy because I knew the sounds, but I know it will only
make my Greek stronger without having to picture the English pronunciations in my head.

Greek is an awesome language...You truly are speaking the language of the gods.

Onto Russian.

Let me first say, that Russian was brutally intimidating to me before I ever got started it way back when I was on 
lesson one. It had a weird alphabet, super-long words, and all of the "Mother Russia" jokes that are associated 
with a great country. I didn't know where to start. That was twelve lessons ago. I still am not totally solid on the
Azbuka (alphabet), but I have a good idea of what letters make which sounds, and I can even read a little bit, 
even if I don't know the words yet. I can sound it out like I'm in kindergarten again.

Tonight, I began to get into some bigger numbers, ranging from tens up to thousands, in order to be able to handle
myself in situations where I need to buy something. I also learned the national currency of Russia, which is the Ruble!
Everything else was review (things like telling time), and that was surprisingly easy, yet refreshing, also. Russian is
a really good asset to have. Just make sure you can understand the alphabet too!

For resources on both, I just used notes from the past and Google Translate. I had two dictionaries sitting next to me
which I've never opened, and they remained that way tonight. I didn't need them at all. I think that shows a TRUE
sign of progress and skill. 

This whole polyglottal "journey" I'm on isn't just something that's limited to me. ANYONE can do it. You just have
to go for it. 

I'm sorry this one is a little lackluster as far as detail goes, but look at the time. It's late, and I'm tired. 

I promise I'll do Vietnamese tomorrow! 


до свидания,

Your Favorite Polyglot

No comments:

Post a Comment