Monday, August 6, 2012

Numero Um!

Bem-vindo! My girlfriend gave me the idea to start this blog today, and I am jumping all over it. For the past few months (longer in some cases), I have been studying a veritable cornucopia of foreign languages. Why? Well, the answer is simple. America is America, and we can agree on that. We can also agree that the national language of this country is American English. Lastly, we can agree that The United States is a melting pot; there are countless people from other countries residing here, and many of them have a first language other than English.

I do love my country and all that jazz, but my interest comes from the fact that no one should have to completely give up their native language in order to make it here. That's not fair by any means. In fact, I think we should do more to make the transition from one's home country to the USA, i.e., learning languages. It's fine if I'm the only one who chooses to branch out to every possible culture, but for those of you who don't, you're missing so much.

I've QUICKLY come to find out that people appreciate it so much when you try to speak to them how they're used to. It definitely has its perks.

The languages that I am currently studying are Eastern Arabic, Cantonese, Croatian, Czech, Dari, Dutch, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Haitian Creole, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Norwegian, Ojibwe, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, and Western Armenian!

...Crazy, right?

I'll be posting things that I learn, things that interest me, books I recommend, and various linguistic resources! I am open to feedback, and learning languages that are not on the list!

Muito obrigado e boa noite,

Your favorite Polyglot

No comments:

Post a Comment