Monday, February 11, 2013

Polski II

Dzień dobry!

I hope everyone is doing well. I can't brag too much, because I have experience in other languages, but I just want to say that I think Polish isnot only an awesome language, but it's really easy.

Disclaimer: I say it's easy because I'm studying other languages from that area in Europe also, like Croatian, Russian, Serbian, and Ukrainian. That being said, there are a ton of similarities. It's almost like how if you understand Haitian Creole, then you can probably understand French as well.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I've mentioned this in prior entries, but certain words open up whole new world when it comes to languages. Today I learned how to say:

Pan/Pani mówi: You speak
Mówię: I speak
I: Another form of "and"
Gdzie jest: Where is
To tutaj: It's here
To tam: It's there

Pretty simple words, right? Yup, but think about how many times you use simple words in a conversation . You definitely use more simple ones than complex. This isn't to say that I can carry on an intelligent conversation just yet, but it definitely makes me look a lot less stupid by adding these words to my repertoire.

Polish can get a bad rap because of how complex it sounds and how many letters can be in one word, but when you really sit down and work on it, it truly isn't that bad at all.

As far as resources that I used, I used GT to make sure I was spelling words correctly, and also I took full advantage of my MultiLing Keyboard on my S3. It has dictionaries for all of the languages I've installed, which as you know, is everyone they offered, lol. But it helps a ton. I never had to crack my Polish to English/English to Polish dictionary once.

This keyboard also makes it easy to tweet in a language such as Polish that has markings over many letters. Instead of having to guess, I'm able to visualize the spelling of the word that I've written down in my notebook, so that way, I automatically know how to spell it, and then just find the selection with the proper symbols. So yes, there is memorization involved, but in all honesty, you're learning a language. You don't have a choice but to memorize things.

Polish, I love you.

Subscribe, comment, advise, help me out.

Do widzenia,

Your Favorite Polyglot
Twitter: @mistercapoeira

No comments:

Post a Comment