Thursday, September 13, 2012

Magyarul

Hungarian, Hungarian, Hungarian, what can I say about thee?

It's got tricky pronunciations, and some weird grammatical structures, but to put it bluntly, Hungarian is cool as shit. This is one of the MAIN reasons I love the whole "testing myself" aspect of my journey. What Americans do you know that speak Hungarian, really? And better yet, what Americans do you know that actually want to. Well, if you didn't know any before, you know one now:

Me.

I don't care about how many symbols go on some of the letters, and I don't care about how long the formal version of "goodbye" is (viszontlatasra). Sidenote, I really need to learn how to put in special characters, because I know there is one on each of the first two As..I might just copy and paste. But like I was saying, I don't care that in Hungarian, "gy" sounds like "dyuh". It doesn't matter. Hungarian is awesome.

In my lesson, I learned the formal and informal ways (which the makers of the course should do early on like in this one) of how to say "Good morning".

They are:

Jó reggelt (informal)
Jó reggelt kívánok (formal)

The "kivanok" at the end essentially makes the full statement, "Wish you good morning." I also learned how to say "Nice weather"

Nice: Szép
Weather: I
Is: Van

Altogether, you say, "Szép idő van," or literally, "Nice weather is." Yes, I know it has a weird order, but are you going to waltz into Hungary and force a national language change? Hell no. Another awkward structure is telling someone they speak very well versus telling someone that you don't speak very well. I would break it down for you, but then that would take all the fun out of it for you! So go learn some Magyarul (Hungarian), and hit me up! Constructive comments, tips, and questions are always welcome!

Until next time,

Your Favorite Polyglot
Twitter: @mistercapoeira

P.S. I know I didn't fix all the words needing symbols. Sue me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment