Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tagalog II

Magandang tanghalian! Kumusta? Mabuti?

Let me tell y'all. Tagalog might be turning into my second favorite language. Seriously. I did a Pimsleur lesson, and everything was just so smooth and easy to learn, it's ridiculous.

The part about Tagalog that made today so easy was simply the fact that some parts of the language sound like Spanish. For instance, asking someone how they are in Tagalog is "kumusta" whereas in Spanish, it's "como estas". See the correlation?

I think the main reason I say that this might be my second favorite language is the fact that Pimsleur works. I've heard Filipino people speaking in Tagalog on YouTube, and I've heard the accent. When I was studying today, I HAD THAT ACCENT. I sounded just like the speakers who were guiding me, and it was fantastic.

There were parts that got me tongue-tied, such as learning how to correctly say, "Ang galing mong mag Tagalog." There are a ton of g, k, ng, and mg sounds that can be in VERY close proximity to each other. This isn't something we see too often in English, so it will take some work to get it down, but I promise you that it's worth it.

I love, love, love this language, and how easy Pimsleur made it to learn. I might do another lesson sooner rather than later!

As always, resources, advice, tips, and constructive criticism are more than welcome.

Until next time,

Your Favorite Polyglot
Twitter: @mistercapoeira

No comments:

Post a Comment